OWMA submitted the following letter outlining the following recommendations to the Minister of the Environment, Conservation & Parks on reducing red tape and administrative burdens in the waste sector:
- Amend O. Reg. 30/20: Batteries and O.Reg. 522/20 Electronic and Electrical Equipment to adopt higher waste diversion targets, as proposed in the Consultation Draft versions.
- Establish an exemption from waste management approvals for facilities that received source separated recyclable materials, by clarifying and amending section 5 of O. Reg 101/94, and Regulation 347 under the Environmental Protection Act.
- Repeal Schedule 6 development approval requirements in Bill 197, The COVID-19 Economic Recovery Act, 2020, to eliminate the development approval requirement provisions from adjacent municipalities, and that only the ‘host’ municipality be empowered to render final approval for landfills within their jurisdiction.
- Reform Ontario’s Financial Assurance Guideline (under Part XII of the Environmental Protection Act) to recognize the low-level of environmental risk of waste facilities and reduce costs for waste operators who have provided over $500 million in financial assurance funds to the Ministry of Environment, Conservation & Parks.
- Create a new unique waste class code for hazardous waste debris under R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 347, under the Environmental Protection Act, and establish a standardized form for waste transfer facilities to utilize for the annual reporting of the inbound and outbound volumes of hazardous waste materials under the new digital hazardous waste registry.